America's Next Top Model, Cycle 2
From Television Wiki
|America's Next Top Model, Cycle 2|
Promotional photograph of the cast of Cycle 2 of America's Next Top Model
|Created by||Tyra Banks|
|Developed by|| Ken Mok|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||11 & Special|
| Tyra Banks|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original run||January 13, 2004 – March 23, 2004|
|Preceded by||Cycle 1|
|Followed by||Cycle 3|
America's Next Top Model Cycle 2, which premiered on January 13, 2004, was the second season of America's Next Top Model hosted by supermodel Tyra Banks, which aims to find the next top fashion model. The cycle's catch-phrase was "They are all gorgeous, but only one has what it takes".
This was the only season to feature a cast of 12 contestants. The international destination for the cycle was Milan, Italy. The winner won a contract with IMG Models, a fashion spread within Jane magazine, and a cosmetics campaign with Sephora.
The winner was 23 year old Yoanna House from Jacksonville, Florida, who became the oldest and first winner with a multi-ethnic background in the show's history.
The Girl Who Overslept
First aired January 13, 2004
The girls were picked up on a bus in New York where they met each other and started sizing up the competition.
They then met Tyra and went to their first runway show, which was held on a US Navy ship. Tyra commented, "They really didn't know what they were doing."
The first photo shoot was a Garden of Eden-themed nude shoot for Fresh Look contact lenses, in which the women wore only sequins and body paint. One contestant, Anna, decided not to participate because, she said, it would insult her husband and child back home. Another, Jenascia, overslept and arrived late for the shoot, despite other girls promises to wake the contestants when needed.
|Anna||Eve of the Sea|
|Bethany||Eve of Winter|
|Camille||Bird Of Paradise Eve|
|Jenascia||Enchanting Archer Eve|
|Shandi||Fairy Tale Eve|
|Xiomara||Eve of Temptation|
|Yoanna||Eve of the Night|
At panel, Camille, Mercedes, April, Shandi, Heather and Sara had pictures that stunned the judges, Yoanna's classic face was revered, and Bethany's bust was identified as a problem. Anna and Jenascia ended up in the bottom two. Though the judges were put off by the fact that Jenascia was late, they ultimately chose to eliminate Anna, the plus-sized girl of the cycle, for refusing to do the photo shoot.
- Bottom two: Anna Bradfield & Jenascia Chakos
- Eliminated: Anna Bradfield
- Featured photographer: Nigel Barker
- Special guests: Ed Libby, Jim De Yonker, Mike Randy, Ian Jones, Yohanea Cepeda
The Girl Who Has a Temper
First aired January 20, 2004
The remaining eleven contestants received runway training from J. Alexander. At the subsequent walking challenge, Catie's gracefulness won her a trip to Carmen Marc Valvo's cocktail party, and chose Mercedes and Camille to go with her.
At the photo shoot, the girls were required to style themselves using Steve Madden shoes, before they pick their own best shot for the week.
Despite Shandi's lack of confidence and terrible runway walk, Bethany was cut, because the judges feel that she didn't know how to pose to flatter her large bust.
- Bottom two: Bethany Harrison & Shandi Sullivan
- Eliminated: Bethany Harrison
- Featured photographer: Ché Graham
- Special guests: Martin Snow, Maggie Rizer, Carmen Marc Valvo, J. Alexander
The Girl Who Can Cry At The Drop Of A Hat
First aired January 27, 2004
The girls got their makeovers, and some are more happy then others. Afterwards, Jay Manuel tested their make-up skills by giving the girls 15 minutes to apply make-up with one mirror, set of brushes, and palette between them. The winner, Yoanna, got a dinner with 3 friends (Sara, Xiomara, and April), while the rest of the girls shopped for, prepared, and served the dinner.
After the challenge, Shandi, who had complained about the heat of the room, collapsed due to exhaustion, causing the other girls to exert concern and aid in order to remedy the situation. She turned out fine, however, and vowed to make time for sleep and to eat as much as she could to prevent it from happening again.
For the photoshoot, the contestants were suspended over a giant hole in the building wearing Laundry by Shelli Segal. Catie struggled because she feared falling to her death, but went through with 12 frames beautifully.
Xiomara and Heather were in the bottom two, but Heather was eliminated for her lack of versatility and experience.
- Bottom two: Heather Blumberg & Xiomara Frans
- Eliminated: Heather Blumberg
- Featured photographer: Richard Dean
- Special guests: Edward Tricomi, Joel Warren, Karima Casteneda, Julie Redfern, Mike Sharits, Mike Randi, Eric Niemand, Halle Bowman
The Girl Who Needs Six Months Of Modeling School
First aired February 3, 2004
The contestants met Betsey Johnson and were challenged to dress in their personal style, but were only allowed to use everyone else’s clothes, not their own. Catie was criticized for looking like a hooker. The winner, Shandi, got dinner at JL with Cycle 1 winner, Adrianne Curry and picked Yoanna and Xiomara to join her.
For the photo shoot, the contestants portrayed celebrities. Xiomara was upset that she had to become a darker color to portray Grace Jones, and Mercedes used the pain of her lupus to portray Billie Holiday's pain.
Mercedes and Xiomara wowed the judges with their strong photos. Catie and Jenascia were in the bottom 2, but Jenascia was eliminated because she couldn't compensate for her lack of height.
- Bottom two: Catie Anderson & Jenascia Chakos
- Eliminated: Jenascia Chakos
- Featured photographer: Andrew Eccles
- Special guests: Simon Doonan, Adrianne Curry, Martin Snow, Danilo, Michael Carl, Betsey Johnson
The Girl Who Is A Visual Orgasm
First aired February 10, 2004
The girls underwent personality coaching. Shandi broke down after revealing her family treated her like the black sheep. Secrets and relationships were revealed in this week's episode. Janice asked some very hard questions as the challenge. Mercedes won the reward, a shopping spree, for answering the questions best. She took Sara. Also as part of their reward, Mercedes', Sara's, and Tyra's moms all showed up. The girls posed underwater for Quench Water. April had the best picture, Catie's pose got great reviews and Xiomara's photo looked like a "walrus wearing chiffon". This eliminated her, despite Camille's annoying personality and dominatrix tendencies.
- Bottom two: Camille McDonald & Xiomara Frans
- Eliminated: Xiomara Frans
- Featured photographer: George Holz
- Special guests: Sam Christensen, J. Alexander, Suzannah Galland, Carolyn London, Nolé Marin
The Girl Whose Lip Puffed Up
First aired February 17, 2004
The photos for the week were simple black and white beauty shots that focus on their face. The contestants then participated in an acting challenge with Mark Collier. Camille decided to not follow the lines and instead, she rewrote parts of the script. Camille was then called hopeless by the coach. The winner of the acting challenge was April. The last stop was a Matrix themed commercial for Rollitos chips. April was hailed for her performance in the commercial and photo shoot, while Camille and Catie fell flat in both areas. Camille was criticized for her attitude, but Catie was sent home since judges felt that she was not yet ready emotionally to handle modeling.
- Bottom two: Camille McDonald & Catie Anderson
- Eliminated: Catie Anderson
- Featured photographer: Bill Heuberger
- Featured commercial director: James Gay
- Special guests: Tasha Smith-Arqese, Mark Collier, De La Guarda, Eric Niemand, Kyle Hagler
The Girl Who Is Dripping With Hypocrisy
First aired February 24, 2004
The girls celebrated Sara's birthday, and Sara disclosed her passion for modeling, stating that she wanted it the most. The models then practiced dancing. April stepped it up for Tony Michaels and won the challenge. She took Shandi and Sara to a party with male guests. Shandi acted flirty and fun with the male guests and was called on it by her boyfriend. They previously had an argument because he wanted to go to the movies with a friend of his who happened to be a girl named Lauren. Instead of a photo shoot, the contestants performed in Tyra's music video for "Shake Ya Body". During the shoot, April nearly pushed Yoanna off the runway, Shandi performed the best in her solo, and Yoanna messed up again and fell. Yoanna was in the bottom two for her poor performance in the video, but Tyra eliminated Sara, who the panel felt was too pin-up and sexy for the fashion world. The episode was followed by the premiere of the video.
- Bottom two: Sara Racey-Tabrizi & Yoanna House
- Eliminated: Sara Racey-Tabrizi
- Featured commercial director: Kennedy
- Special guests:' Rodney Jerkins, Tony Michaels
The Girls Go to Milan
First aired March 2, 2004
The remaining girls were taken to a restaurant where Tyra introduced their international destination for the cycle, Milan, Italy. The girls then went on go-sees where Shandi was described as the best high fashion model, Mercedes as being a bit commercial, April as photographing well but weak in other areas,and Yoanna having to work on her body. Camille won the challenge for her strong presence. Camille implied that Yoanna had an eating disorder at dinner in front of Tyra, which was not true. The girls did a high fashion shoot for Solstice sunglasses. April had mixed reviews, Camille looked pigeon-toed and was the photographer's least favorite, Mercedes looked commercial, Yoanna hid her body well and Shandi took some of the photographer's best shots all year. She was also praised for her response to rather harsh designers (which turned out to be actors testing the models' attitudes) when asked why she should get booked. Shandi simply responded that if the designer would look at her photos they would possibly see something special there. Camille got the worst review, giving off an attitude that "she knew it all". While she was walking for the designers, they asked her why she walked like that, and thus Camille coined the infamous phrase "This is my signature walk, and it's the walk that's going to make me famous." Mercedes was in the bottom two for looking commercial and for a lack of editorial potential, but it was Camille who was eliminated because of her attitude and getting very defensive all the time when critiqued.
- Bottom two: Camille McDonald & Mercedes Scelba-Shorte
- Eliminated: Camille McDonald
- Special guests: Kyle Hagler, David Brown, Elena Cimarosti, Carlo De Amici, Kesia Elwin, Liliana Rolando, Nolé Marin, Michael Giannini
- Featured photographer: Massimo Costoli
The Girl Who Is Afraid Of Snakes
First aired March 9, 2004
This was the cycle's recap episode. It was so named because April was afraid when they were told that they needed to handle such creatures in a photoshoot.
The Girl Who Cheated
First aired March 16, 2004
Male models were invited to come over to the house and had fun with the girls, where Shandi who was overwhelmed by loneliness of being apart with her boyfriend, ended up having sex with another male model. Lambasted by a sense of guilt, she called her boyfriend, Eric, the next day and told him what has happened. Eric got mad and yelled at her before he finally hung up. The next day, Shandi called him back and he wished her good luck in the next photo shoot.
This week, the girls learned how to compliment their body with their attire. Then, they were put into the test where they shopped at a flea market and found an outfit that was high fashion and complemented their body the best. Shandi was chosen as the winner and picked Yoanna to join in her reward.
For this week's photo shoot, the girls teamed up to do a sensual, romantic nude shoot. At panel, Mercedes impressed the judges with her ability to turn out a piece of cloth into looking like a high fashion dress. April was criticized for trying to take control of the photo shoot. In the end, she was sent home for being too technical.
- Bottom two: April Wilkner & Mercedes Scelba-Shorte
- Eliminated: April Wilkner
- Featured photographers: Almicare Incalza, Alex Martinengo
- Special guests: Jean Luc, Nolé Marin, Loris Rocchi, Stephen Fairchild
The Girl Who Is America's Next Top Model
First aired March 23, 2004
For the final photo, the final three had a beauty shot for which they were dressed in the opposite of their normal styles. At judging, Mercedes was hailed for finally looking like a true fashion model. Shandi and Yoanna landed in the bottom two, both for their inability to handle pressure and Shandi was eliminated.
After the shoot, the remaining two met up with Dean and Dan of Dsquared for whom they walked in a fashion show. During the show, Yoanna broke her high heels and had to use Mercedes' heel, but was able to successfully complete the show.
At panel, the judges were immensely impressed by Mercedes and they felt that she stole the runway show. Tyra recognized the uniqueness of Yoanna's face, and believed that Yoanna knew the modeling industry better than Mercedes. After a long and hard deliberation, both finalists were called in and Yoanna was declared the winner of Cycle Two of America's Next Top Model.
- Bottom two: Shandi Sullivan & Yoanna House
- Eliminated: Shandi Sullivan
- Final two: Mercedes Scelba-Shorte & Yoanna House
- America's Next Top Model: Yoanna House
- Featured photographer: Massimo Costoli
- Special guests: Nolé Marin, Gian Luca Guaitoli, Dean Caten, Dan Caten
The Runway Ahead
- Mercedes has walked for many runways, including John Sakalis, Mercedes-Benz and Rock and Republic. She has signed with Nous Model Management, has an ad coming in Seventeen Magazine and has starred in an independent film.
- Sara is interested in being in Sports Illustrated and has a meeting with the head of the swimsuit issue. She has also walked for Rock & Republic
- Catie is enjoying her fame back home, appearing on radio, going back to her old school and walking for Louis Verdad
- Anna is back at home and looking for agencies.
- Shandi has reconciled with her boyfriend and her mother. She is a clerk again, trying to save money to go to New York and meet agencies
- Bethany still hopes to model
- Jenascia is working at Hooters and has birthed a child
- April has done a photoshoot for Stuff magazine and is signed with New-York Models
- Xiomara is a part-time bartender, has an agent, is signed with Boss Models, has done a spread for FHM and has been contacted by 3 cosmetics lines.
- Heather is pursuing acting and modelling
- Camille is enjoying her fame and promises we will see her again
- Yoanna has been on numerous talk shows, collected her prizes, walked for Custo Barcelona and John Sakalis, is still very close to her family and does some weekly yoga to tone her body.
In order of elimination
(ages stated are at time of contest)
- Anna Bradfield, 24, from LaGrange, Georgia
- Bethany Harrison, 22, from Houston, Texas
- Heather Blumberg, 18, from Moreno Valley, California
- Jenascia Chakos, 21, from Burien, Washington
- Xiomara Frans, 25, from Morganville, New Jersey
- Catie Anderson, 18, from Willmar, Minnesota
- Sara Racey-Tabrizi, 22, from Seattle, Washington
- Camille McDonald, 25, from Mamaroneck, New York
- April Wilkner, 23, from Miami Beach, Florida
- Shandi Sullivan, 21, from Kansas City, Missouri (2nd runner up)
- Mercedes Scelba-Shorte, 21, from Valencia, California (runner up)
- Yoanna House, 23, from Jacksonville, Florida (winner)
- The contestant won the week's reward challenge
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the reward and was eliminated
- The contestant did not participate in the photo shoot and was eliminated
- The contestant won the competition
- In episodes 3 and 6 the first and second placers were switched by editing.
- Episode 9 was the recap episode.
This cycle's makeovers also included teeth whitening and manicures
- April: Dyed darker; bangs added
- Camille: Braids and false nail tips removed
- Catie: Twiggy style cut
- Heather: Lowlights removed, more blonde added
- Jenascia: Cut shoulder-length
- Mercedes: Animalistic extensions
- Sara: Blonde highlights added
- Shandi: Dyed platinum blonde, given contact lenses
- Xiomara: Longer, wavy extensions
- Yoanna: Modern mohawk
Photo Shoot Guide
- Episode 1 Photo Shoot: Nude in the Garden Of Eden for Fresh Look contact lenses
- Episode 2 Photo Shoot: Steve Madden Shoes
- Episode 3 Photo Shoot : Laundry by Shelli Segal Suspended Over a Giant Hole
- Episode 4 Photo Shoot : Celebrity Impersonations
- Episode 5 Photo Shoot : Quench Underwater Shoot
- Episode 6 Photo Shoot & Commercial : Black and White Beauty Shots; Commercial for Rollitos Chips
- Episode 7 Music Video: Tyra Banks' "Shake Ya Body"
- Episode 8 Photo Shoot: Solstice Sunglasses in the Coliseum
- Episode 10 Photo Shoot: Sensual, Nude Shot with a Partner
- Episode 11 Photo Shoot: High Edge Beauty Shots
- Tyra Banks
- Nigel Barker
- Janice Dickinson
- Eric Nicholson
Post Top Model Careers
- Yoanna House: has walked for various designers before turning to TV hosting.
- Mercedes Scelba-Shorte: has done some commercial work including print and TV. is a spokesperson for the Lupus foundation.
- Shandi Sullivan: was signed with Trump Model Management but has left the industry
- April Wilkner: signed with Race Model Management and has done some print,, runway, corresponding and acting.
- Camille McDonald: signed with Major Model Management, has appeared on the runway of several fashion shows and has appeared in many magazines. She also launched her own line of lingerie called Lingerwear, for which Naima Mora modeled.
- Sara Racey-Tabrizi: has done some print work, including L'Oréal, Converse, Pulse, King and Maxim and has landed small acting roles.
- Catie Anderson: has done runway and has been signed with a few different LA agencies
- Xiomara Frans: signed with Boss Models and has also appeared in the New York Post Latino Issue
- Jenascia Chakos: returned to her job at Hooters and gave birth to a child. She has appeared in a few Seattle calendars.
- Heather Blumberg: did not pursue modeling, but expressed interest in acting
- Bethany Harrison: did a few test shots
- Anna Bradfield: has done some test shoots
- ↑ http://community.livejournal.com/topmodel/893314.html#cutid1
- ↑ http://community.livejournal.com/topmodel/625523.html#cutid1
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=320
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=307
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=323
- ↑ http://community.livejournal.com/topmodel/1094047.html#cutid1
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=329
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=310
- ↑ http://all-antm.net/thumbnails.php?album=305